Thursday, September 29, 2011

Video Response to Philosophy Bites Philip Pettit on Consequentialism

To listen to the podcast I'm discussing you can download the mp3 here.

My thoughts on Philosophy Bites podcast on Philip Pettit's interview on Consequentialism. Consequentialism is closely related to the philosophy Utilitarianism. It bases it's means on the conclusions or the consequences of an action. Immanuel Kant was apparently a Nonconsequentialist. The question I keep asking myself is, "where is the hope?" Is choosing a lesser evil not still evil?

1 comment:

Benny said...

Where is the hope?
I will tell you where the hope is : to maximize the good the guy should not kill that one indian but should kill the guy that kills 10. Only by removal of the immoral agent the moral good would be maximized in this situation.
Not by the killing of 1 innocent indian.
Just like there is hope when a military force is send into a country to overthrow a cruel dictatorship.